CruiseFish Forum


    joined Jun 2011
    post 3/19
    cruiser #5830
    how to get found!

    You really have a web site that is useful...and you need to focus a little effort on being found on google/bing....because you likely have a real money maker here.

    Also, and I know you know this, you have to expand to more cruise lines so that when people come to your site, you have something they want to subscribe to.

    The $'s will come with ads....the $.99 is ok for now, but the business model should be ad income....if someone looks at a cruise, there's an ad opportunity for the cruise line, a travel agent or anyone who wants to advertise based on one of the ports.

    relaxing with Ernie
    Quebec, QC, Canada
    joined Apr 2010
    post 130/625
    cruiser #3
    Re: how to get found!

    On June 13, 2011 at 01:27 AM, ghstudio wrote: You really have a web site that is useful...and you need to focus a little effort on being found on google/bing....because you likely have a real money maker here.

    Hi ghstudio,

    Thanks for your input. Do you have specific advice on Search Engine Optimization? I have only scratched the surface on that subject so far so any idea is welcome.

    Also, and I know you know this, you have to expand to more cruise lines so that when people come to your site, you have something they want to subscribe to.

    More cruise lines are definitely needed on CF. I've been working a lot on the core price fetching code to make it more reliable, resilient to cruise line web downtimes (frequent) and CF-blocking efforts by Princess and Carnival (other lines don't seem to care/know about us).

    The $'s will come with ads....the $.99 is ok for now, but the business model should be ad income....if someone looks at a cruise, there's an ad opportunity for the cruise line, a travel agent or anyone who wants to advertise based on one of the ports.

    I'd be very happy to be able to finance CF solely on advertising revenue. Maybe that day will come.


    cruisefish.net administrator

    joined May 2011
    post 3/4
    cruiser #5804
    Re: how to get found!

    I have to agree. I would never have found your site if I was not active on cruisecritic. Another member there posted that she knew of a site "yours" for price drops. She could not mention the name. Luckily I was online the same time as her and I was able to see her message because cruise critic deleted theost within minutes. I was able to email her and she gave me the name of your site.

    Keep up the good work.

    NV, United States
    joined Jun 2011
    post 1/15
    cruiser #5962
    Re: how to get found!

    you can submit URL to google (free) if you haven't done so and check into google adsense.

    Huntsville, AL, United States
    joined May 2010
    post 40/258
    cruiser #577
    Lifetime Member
    Re: how to get found!

    On June 13, 2011 at 02:56 PM, sgroi135 wrote: I have to agree. I would never have found your site if I was not active on cruisecritic. Another member there posted that she knew of a site "yours" for price drops. She could not mention the name. Luckily I was online the same time as her and I was able to see her message because cruise critic deleted theost within minutes. I was able to email her and she gave me the name of your site.

    Keep up the good work.

    Actually, just a day or so ago I googled something like "cruise fare price drops" and CruiseFish came up--along with another site I was unaware of. The other site only gives the price drop if it is $100 or more??????

    relaxing with Ernie
    Quebec, QC, Canada
    joined Apr 2010
    post 140/625
    cruiser #3
    Re: how to get found!

    On June 23, 2011 at 01:03 PM, barbt wrote: Actually, just a day or so ago I googled something like "cruise fare price drops" and CruiseFish came up--along with another site I was unaware of. The other site only gives the price drop if it is $100 or more??????

    What is that other site?


    cruisefish.net administrator

    Huntsville, AL, United States
    joined May 2010
    post 41/258
    cruiser #577
    Lifetime Member
    Re: how to get found!

    On June 23, 2011 at 02:03 PM, titus wrote:

    On June 23, 2011 at 01:03 PM, barbt wrote: Actually, just a day or so ago I googled something like "cruise fare price drops" and CruiseFish came up--along with another site I was unaware of. The other site only gives the price drop if it is $100 or more??????

    What is that other site?

    When you google "cruise price drops", it is the first one that comes up--Tattletale. CruiseFish is listed 5th. On another note, why am I having to sign in all the time when I tell it to "remember me"? Thanks Barb

    relaxing with Ernie
    Quebec, QC, Canada
    joined Apr 2010
    post 141/625
    cruiser #3
    Re: how to get found!

    On June 23, 2011 at 03:05 PM, barbt wrote:

    On another note, why am I having to sign in all the time when I tell it to "remember me"?

    Because your browser is configured to delete cookies after each session maybe?

    Check your cookie settings, and uncheck "accept cookies only for session" or somesuch.


    cruisefish.net administrator

    Huntsville, AL, United States
    joined May 2010
    post 42/258
    cruiser #577
    Lifetime Member
    Re: how to get found!

    On June 23, 2011 at 04:44 PM, titus wrote:

    On June 23, 2011 at 03:05 PM, barbt wrote:

    On another note, why am I having to sign in all the time when I tell it to "remember me"?

    Because your browser is configured to delete cookies after each session maybe?

    Check your cookie settings, and uncheck "accept cookies only for session" or somesuch.

    Oh, Thanks. I'll bet that is it....because after I read somewhere (maybe here) about Celebrity not giving correct booking info if you had been checking frequently (and suggesting that you eat your cookies to stop this) I made a change of that nature. Will re-check one of the boxes and see if that helps. I know only enough about computers to be dangerous!

    relaxing with Ernie
    Quebec, QC, Canada
    joined Apr 2010
    post 143/625
    cruiser #3
    Re: how to get found!

    With the Firefox and Chrome browsers you can impose session cookies to certain websites of your choice:

    Tools -> Preferences -> Privacy -> Allow cookies -> Exceptions etc.


    cruisefish.net administrator

    Huntsville, AL, United States
    joined May 2010
    post 43/258
    cruiser #577
    Lifetime Member
    Re: how to get found!

    I am most often using IE when I visit Cruise Fish and did not know for sure whether or not what I was doing worked only when I was using IE--or if it carried over to Firefox and others. I use Google Chrome on the netbook with Windows 7 but only there. I'm ashamed to admit that I am still using Netscape for my email because I like the way it presents so much better than all the other mail programs--but Netscape gets me into all kinds of predicaments! Regardless, I will go back and re-check the box for my IE browsing. And thanks for your insight and help.

    Huntsville, AL, United States
    joined May 2010
    post 44/258
    cruiser #577
    Lifetime Member
    Re: how to get found!

    OK, I changed back the original setting that I thought would correct the problem....but it didn't and I still had to log in. When I went to "Forum" the past responses which were posted during the days when my changes had been made were not there--only older ones. So apparently when I deleted my browsing history, it also deleted about 10 days of responses????? Makes sense?

    relaxing with Ernie
    Quebec, QC, Canada
    joined Apr 2010
    post 145/625
    cruiser #3
    Re: how to get found!

    As far as I know browsing history and cookies are unrelated settings and in any case you should always see the latest forum replies regardless of your browsing history.

    I suggest that you clear all your browser cache (called "temporary files" in IE?).


    cruisefish.net administrator