She claimed to have made the call, and told me Royal wouldn't allow it.
But before that she said, it must have been:
1) A fare only published in Europe (I was on the RCI US site, in the U.S.)
2) I was probably looking at a different sail date for the same boat, or the same sail date on a different boat
3) She just didn't see the fare
Sent her a screen shot via e-mail, said she couldn't see the screen shot in her e-mail.
When on board, I check with Royal Reps there, and first they told me there were no such published fares, but I had taken a screen print, and he asked to see it. It was then he told me, Royal couldn't touch the reservation anyway.
It all adds up to a bunch of bullocks, and it cost me $450! And now I realize I was being lied to. I still have the screen shots, but I doubt RCI would do anything for me, as it wasn't their reservation...but boy, it rubbed me the wrong way. Don't know how long it takes you to save $450, but that isn't so easily done...